Thursday, October 16, 2014

Review of Elena's Handmade Fall Wardrobe So Far


Do you know Teri from Climbing the Willow? You may know some of her great free patterns like my favorite, the Izzy Top (see my version here.) I was so excited when I saw this post from her announcing her plans to sew her daughter's entire wardrobe this fall. 

I felt like we had a lot in common because our daughters are just 3 months different in age and I too planned on making everything for Elena this fall. In fact, I haven't purchased ANY clothing for Elena since last November if you don't count that one $6 clearance party dress at Target (also not counting socks, tights, and underpants). I should also say that I have been given some very nice hand-me-down dresses/jumpers, a couple pairs of jeans, and 2 nightgowns from a friend, so that is very helpful. We also have some of last years clothes that still fit so we are in really good shape.

So my personal goal for sewing for Elena can be summed up like this: Make clothing that is comfortable, functional, and practical so she can continue to learn independence in dressing and using the bathroom. I want clothes that fit her 2T width and 3 or 4T length body, and are creative and fun. As an additional challenge, I want to spend as little money as possible by using second hand materials. I want them to look professional but not store-bought so you likely won't see any tulle ruffles or glittery graphics here. That will come eventually when she discovers the mall herself. And that'll be a sad day. But anyway...

I've posted about all of these projects already, but here is a round-up of just how much I've accomplished so far. That should help me see what we still need or what I can justify making anyway as long as the materials were free or almost free. You can click on the pictures to go to the post if you're looking for details like patterns, fabric, etc. I tend to sew in outfits so it's a little hard to sort these into categories.

Top & Pants Sets


workpraysew.com
Flat front pull-on pants and Bimaa

Lace Overlay Top and Floral Leggings

workpraysew.com
Piped Nessie Top with leggings


workpraysew.com
Plaid leggings and beaded Tinley Tee

Floral Tunic with polka dot leggings


workpraysew.com
Recycled jeans and sweater

Dresses and Skirts

workpraysew.com
The Deer Dress

workpraysew.com
Greenpoint Cardigan and knit skirt

workpraysew.com
Quilted skirt and reversible vest

I think I'll stop here for now. I'll cover cardigans and jackets next week because this is getting really long. For now I'm feeling like we have just about enough "play" clothes but could use a few more pairs of pants thicker than leggings and suitable for playing outside in cold, cold weather. 

And just a note about the gray skirt and cardigan set, the skirt was borderline too short when I made it and so I've added a 3 inch band of the solid gray to the bottom. It looks and hangs even better now so that worked out great. I'm finding that it's not good though to send her to preschool in skirts/dresses because she doesn't sit like a lady at all. Adding too many layers of tights or leggings beneath makes it hard for her to use the bathroom alone. But there are 5 others days in the week so they will still get worn plenty.

Have a wonderful weekend. I will be driving my teenage son to Michigan for a swimming meet. I'm taking a dress with me that is all sewn and adding some embroidery so that will help pass time. You can't see that one for a couple weeks yet but it's going to be good!

1 comment:

  1. I love the floral tunic and polka dot leggings! What a perfect combination :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.