Tuesday, February 4, 2014

PRP - My Signature Style

I am really excited to present my signature style outfit for the final week of Project Run & Play. I almost didn't do it because I wasn't sure I had a signature style. I actually refrain from labels like that in most cases. "My" anything turns me off. For instance, I could never say, "This is my lasagna recipe." because I never make most things the same way twice. I don't want people to expect the same thing from me all the time. So I had to get over that and do some serious thinking and I'm soooo glad I did because now I understand myself much better and what makes me happy about sewing and creating homemade outfits. Thank you Project Run & Play.

My signature style is:
  1. Rather old-fashioned in a lot of ways. I like little girls to look like little girls. I like ruffles and gathers. I like the late 1800's, the 1920's and the 1940's & 50's.
  2. There is almost always a refashion involved or thrifted, reclaimed materials. 
  3. I don't necessarily want it to be recognized as homemade but I don't want it to look like it came from one of the major retailers either. 
  4. I like to mix in a modern component - tribal leggings, riding boots, high-low hems, etc.  
So, here is my look on my 2 year old who is now full of mini-marshmallows. 





The sweater is a refashion of my old sweater that I hadn't worn in years. It was super easy to cut down and resew together in her size and will still fit her next fall too - bonus.


The top is McCall's 6388. I added pockets and decorative stitching. I made it last week to sew along with Katy of No Big Dill for "P" week of her Sew All 26 Challenge. See here for more details.





The pants are self drafted straight leg leggings in charcoal gray cotton spandex from Girl Charlee. I love making leggings that fit her just right.


I crocheted the hat, folded it up, and sewed on a big button. It is made with a magic loop and then all double crochets until the final 4 rows of single crochets. To create a button hole, I chained 5 stitches and skipped that many for the second last row of single crochets off-center on the front. The big button is inherited and quirky.


So that sums me up pretty well. It's creative, it's comfy, it's practical and thrifty and no other little girl has the same outfit.








6 comments:

  1. Love it! Your style is very much like mine :) I adore that blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the refashioned sweater & the top & hat.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie! I love your daughter's expressions. She obviously loves wearing her new outfit. I love the sweater and wish I was as brave as you are to cut into a sweater to re-purpose it. The hat and blouse are charming and the pants fit perfectly. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very nice especially the refashion, I love the hat, very practical and colourful. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the definition of your style and love the look you created!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.