Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Curried turkey, rice and peas

     Today is a typical day. I spent my afternoon driving kids around. Seriously that's all I do anymore from 2pm on. Olivia gets out of high school at 1:55. We left at 1:45 to get her and returned home by 2:10. I put Elena to bed and then left her home with Olivia while I went to get Andrew from his school that lets out at 2:35. I brought him home and waited around for a few minutes and left again at 3:00 to take him back to the high school for swim team practice. I ran a few errands, gassed up the van again, and came home to wake Elena up at 4:30 and drive Olivia to volleyball practice. We returned home at 5:00. I put a video on for Elena and started on dinner. At 6:10, my husband and Andrew will be home after their workouts and they will be starving.

     So I'm always looking for quick, easy meals that will appeal to all ages and meet Elena's and my dietary requirements - free of wheat, dairy, eggs, tree nuts, corn, soy and shellfish. This dish has become a weekly staple. I hope you enjoy it.



Curried turkey, rice and peas

Olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 to 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey
3 Tbsp curry powder
2 c. Uncle Ben's rice, uncooked
2 c. frozen peas
1 box chicken broth - 32 oz.
1-1/2 tsp. salt


Directions:
     Saute the onion in olive oil and then add the ground turkey. When cooked through, add the curry powder and cook for another minute. Add the rice and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the peas and add the chicken broth and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.

     This makes more than enough for my family of big athletes with big appetites. There are always some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

     That's it. Maybe 15 minutes of prep and then 25 to simmer and it's ready. And I get to sit down and watch a video with Elena while it cooks and I check e-mail. A nice little rest because after dinner someone is going to have to go pick Olivia back up from volleyball at 7. :-D


 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.