Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Sparkly Butterflies for Spring

I am not even going to look back to see exactly how long its been since I've blogged, I'm just going to be glad that Elena finally likes something I made for her. Her tastes keep changing, and I'm trying to keep up and understand how someone who fights about wearing dresses to church, was so excited about this most sparkly butterfly dress. It makes no sense to me.


A few days earlier, we looked together at a couple of retailers' websites to see what is new for spring. She surprised me with some of her very girly choices. So when I saw this fabric from Joann's Doodles Collection, I thought I'd take a chance and make her something to wear to a tea party the next day.



The bodice is made using Simplicity 1435 because it has some nice feminine details including little puff sleeves as an option. I changed the skirt to a simple gathered skirt because I guessed she would like that better. To break up the butterfly action a little, I used a gray and white striped rayon/spandex for the sleeves and neckband. It is also from Joann's. With coupons, this dress cost $9 and I'll have enough scraps to make a t-shirt too.

Sewing success doesn't mean photography success. She makes such silly faces all the time, but I'm glad she was having fun. The tea party was so sweet and I really enjoyed seeing her so happy in a dress - even with her crazy styling choices of leggings and striped socks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.