Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Adventures of Gnomes in the Woods

I ordered this gnome fabric a year or two ago because Elena loved it so much. It sat around here for so long because I couldn't decide what to make with it. Elena is going through a no dresses, no skirts, no blouses phase. At least I hope it's a phase because it is truly sad for me. We went with shorts and a top to match in the end.


The top is a refashion of a jersey t-shirt into a simple peasant top. The pattern comes from the book "Little Girls, Big Style" by Mary Abreu. Elena was disappointed that it had no embellishments, but I felt like anything I did would take away from the print on the shorts or feel costume-ish. I also made a white woven cotton peasant top with smocking instead of elastic and made it cropped, but she doesn't seem comfortable in it at all. Here's a pic anyway. This pic cost me an extra ice cream cone on top of our previously negotiated fingernail polishing for the photo shoot. I love that book though and think it's a great way for beginners to have fun sewing for girls.


On to the shorts though. The Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Classic Chinos is a great pattern. I've used it to make her school uniform pants so I knew I'd like it as shorts. These have a zip fly with a snap, slash pockets on the front, welt pockets on the back, and an elastic back waistband. This fabric is Stenzo poplin and is the perfect weight for summer shorts. Mabel Madison doesn't seem to have this particular print anymore, but like I said, this was purchased some years ago.



We went for a hike at our favorite spot. It's a magical place with rocks, caves, and scenic lookouts to Lake Erie. It is always quite the adventure. Elena tackles the rough terrain head on even though neither of us had on appropriate footwear today.






I am linking up to Project Run & Play's June theme of Adventures and we are sneaking in just under the deadline. One last picture and that's all folks.


2 comments:

  1. Such lovely clothes, that shorts fabric is so adorable :). That crop top is so cute too, such a pity Elena doesn't like it. By the way, I' ve had that book too for ages, but for some reason I haven't done much from it. I think I did the peasant top once for my oldest girl but it turned out way too big, I don't know what went wrong then, it was one of my first sewing projects for my girl, we lived in our old house then so it must be at least 6 years ago :).

    About your previous pots, those bags are just amazing - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shorts, cute and fun! The red peasant top is the perfect match. The adventure in the woods photos are so fun too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.