Monday, May 7, 2018

A Sassy Caroline Party Dress

Elena needed another dress and I needed to have some creative fun so I made her another Caroline Party Dress (Welcome to the MouseHouse). She actually squealed when she saw it. My heart was happy.


It all started with a necessary trip to Walmart - not my favorite thing to do. I bribed myself telling myself I could look at fabric for a dress for Elena if I took care of the essentials first. As soon as I saw this cotton Waverly print I knew Elena would love it. I quickly grabbed a coordinating hounds tooth fat quarter and a zipper and got out of there.


Later I remembered I had a yard of black tulle so the dress got a nice overlay for the skirt. She was so excited about that part at home, but ironically, it annoyed her like crazy blowing up in the wind when we got downtown to her sister's art gallery exhibition and walking around Playhouse Square.


The combination of this dress, her sock choice, and her spunky attitude made for some fun pictures for once. Her style is definitely not sweet little girl anymore. She is nearly 7 already, so I guess I just have to face how grown up she is getting already.


I had to trace a new size of this dress since I haven't made one in about 2 years. This one is a 5 in width and a 7 in length. We could have made a 4 in width as she complained it feels too loose, but I'm glad for the extra room and comfort so she wears it plenty.


The Caroline is an easy sew if you don't mind installing invisible zips. This fabric made it less stressful since there was no pattern matching to worry about. Making deliberate choices like that can making sewing fun. I've been super busy and don't have much time at home lately so there isn't much time for sewing. It's funny how attitudes adjust and we get can used to things and take on more than you ever imagined you could. I used to think I was too tired at the end of the day to want to sew, but now, I sometimes feel like that's all I want to do to get over a bad day. Thank God for sewing and the awesome online sewing community.


                                               
 We have another fun dress half way done so stay tuned next week. I hope she cooperates again, because this was fun.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.