Friday, November 13, 2015

Fall Kidiform: Cords and Bimaas and Turtlenecks

It's gotten colder out. Fall isn't kidding around anymore. This week has been in the 40's and 50's and crazy windy. We've had rain and hail, and only a little sunshine. Cold and wet makes me feel chilly. Elena never seems cold, but I felt the need to make her some more warm things. I don't know why I didn't make myself more warm things. I know it doesn't make any sense.

We are on a strict spending freeze. We are within mere months of paying off our house and now that the end of the mortgage is really, really close, nothing can sway me from my course. I could only shop my stash, so thank goodness it has some really good stuff in it. Is it just me or is it impossible to source stretch corduroy at a store or online? I can't ever find it anywhere so repurposing is the best route. I recently bought a few pairs of very large women's cords at half price at the thrift store for $2/pair. I can afford that. I'm rambling, let me just show you what I made.


These cords (wrinkled as all heck because I took them off of her for pictures) are Peek-a-Boo Skinny Jeans but with a jersey knit and elastic waistband. They are reborn from the ugliest high waisted, darted, relaxed fit, tapered leg cords you ever saw. They were happy to be transformed into cute skinnies with gold topstitching. And if you follow me on Instagram you already know that I ran out of gold thread with 2" to go on the last hem so they have a little bit of tan topstitching on the back too.


Also at the thrift store that same day, I found a woman's tee of exceptionally good quality - thick and soft. It was a mock turtleneck, but on a 4 year old, it's a full turtleneck. I used the Sofilantjes Otium Sweater pattern and made it kind of big and comfy. Elena rarely complains about things being uncomfortable, but she definitely gravitates to the more comfortable fabrics. Soft, stretchy corduroy and thick, soft knit are perfect. and this outfit comes in at $3. That has to be a savings of at least $25 to go towards the house payment.

I have 2 more pairs of cords to repurpose, if needed. We'll wait and see a bit. But we needed more long sleeved tees so I went through the stash again and made a hooded LouBee Clothing Bimaa. I've made 4 or 5 Bimaa's before, but never the hooded version. I really love it. I had to get super creative to eek this out of less than a half yard of Girl Charlee cotton lycra (the mustard color) and some scraps of leftover Mabel Madison Stenzo knit.



Elena isn't supposed to be on the blog for a while, but this doesn't qualify as a photo shoot because we were just outside playing on one of the brighter days and I snuck a couple of pictures. She was freezing by the way so we put a jacket on right after and kept on playing.

Anyhow, the point of this post is ... I don't actually know. I guess it's that you can make good stuff out of other good stuff and it doesn't have to cost much at all. Also, that these 3 patterns are so good, I could almost just use them for everything, all the time. So I'll keep reminding myself of that so that I can stick to the budget and get this house paid off.

7 comments:

  1. Hurray for being so close to paying your house off! And super cute outfit! I just thrifted a pair of tan cords and a pair of black acid washed jeans off the dollar rack to turn into pants for my son. This time of year always seems to be when I make him 6-7 pairs of pants that last until June or so. Last year I made them from all my sister's outgrown or torn jeans so they had a good amount of stretch. I might have to try Peek-a-Boo Skinny Jeans again after seeing these :) And both my son and daughter say your daughter's Bimaa looks so comfy and awesome (they now want one for them just like hers ) I guess I have some sewing to do :) Thank you for the inspiration dear! I love seeing what other moms make especially with thrifted clothes.
    Marah
    www.etsy.com/shop/LaFleurMtnHandmade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marah! These pieces have been worn so much lately. Keep on thrifting!

      Delete
  2. Here it's so cold too, it's a pity all the snow melted here and it'so dark again. I have also been sewing some shirts and trousers for my girls this week. The set looks good and you really have to make one for you too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do live in jeans and warm knit tops. I want to change a pattern to make myself that style of hoodie, with the front piece specifically. I can combine a cowl piece with a hoodie piece I think?

      Delete
  3. Cute outfit! The pants look really cozy and perfect. My little girl really needs a pair like that. I have a similar Jalie pattern. I should check out the thrift shop too, since I'm having a hard time finding inexpensive corduroy. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really lucked out finding 3 pairs of cords at my thrift. Corduroy is just the nicest, warmest fabric and to find it with stretch is so difficult.

      Delete
    2. I really lucked out finding 3 pairs of cords at my thrift. Corduroy is just the nicest, warmest fabric and to find it with stretch is so difficult.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.