Thursday, July 21, 2016

All You Really Need for a Girl's Capsule Wardrobe

I'm pretty sure that Elena could be happy with 3 t-shirts, 3 pairs of shorts and her favorite romper. She has 3 or 4 swim suits and 1 cover-up that she likes too. That is all she has been wearing this summer. It's a little sad for a sewist like me, except that I have become more and more minimalist in the past year so I am happy to see she is too.

I am happy to report that 2 out of the 3 pairs of shorts she wears are homemade from last summer. The tops and romper however, are not. Lucky for me, I have been so busy this summer that I haven't had time to cry about it. I'm pretty happy that she dresses herself and seems to have stopped the multiple outfit changes each day that were happening in the spring.

I want her to have clothes that not only meet her physical needs, but that she loves. I am starting to plan her fall wardrobe and have spent some time looking at Pinterest and also at the websites of lots of my favorite ready to wear brands: H&M, Old Navy, GAP, Tea Collection, Osh Kosh...

The thing that strikes me the most when I look at these websites is how few different shapes there are. Everyone makes a basic t-shirt, and raglan shirt, a button-down or pop-over style top, some knit dresses of either the fit and flare or swing style, leggings, joggers, and jeans. That's pretty much it and the main differences between brands comes in the colors, fabrics, and graphics (and quality). If I can source fabrics in colors and prints that she loves, I already own plenty of patterns to hack.

So in making my plans for this fall, I am keeping in mind the fact that my girl is happy to wear the same things over and over and also that she will be wearing a uniform to kindergarten 5 days a week. If I'm only going to get to make her a handful of items, I want them to be really great with special details. I will take my time making them and make them special.

This striped tunic from Tea Collection uses basic striped fabric and a simple design, but adds embroidered flowers. I can totally see hand-embroidering some flowers for Elena.

                                                Yumi Embroidered Dress


A floral raglan t-shirt like this one from Carter's doesn't have any special details. It's all about the large print and making sure it's soft and cozy.
                                             Kid Girl Long-Sleeve Floral Raglan Tee | Carters.com:
A swing dress like this one from Old Navy is a simple hack of a basic t-shirt pattern. I was thinking of using a solid white and adding lace and then dying the whole thing one color. Of course I'll have to wait and see what her favorite color is that month and hope it lasts.

                              


A chambray shirt dress would be cute and fun to layer with leggings and a cardi later in winter. I already have some speckled chambray that would be a lot of fun and could use the Sisboom Ethan shirt for a pattern hack.



We will need a few new pairs of leggings to accomodate her ever-growing legs. I hope to add some details to those in the form of knee patches, lace cuffs, or a tuxedo stripe.

For fall, that is all that we will need I think. I don't need to buy any patterns, no matter how cute they are and how many inspiring pieces my fellow bloggers sew up to entice me. I will try to remain strong in my minimalist ways. I will instead make it fun and hopefully blog-worthy by adding artistic handmade touches. And in the meantime, I will be sure to keep myself and Elena out of the mall and Target, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.