Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just in Time for Fall - The Apple Dress

The Apple Dress
 
     Just in time for fall, I made Elena the apple dress. It is the sleeveless version of McCalls 6388 in a 2T with 3T length. I had cut out the sleeves, but decided at the last minute to leave them off so we'd have more options for Indian summer days like this one. I'm glad I did that because the three piece sleeves were going to be a pain to sew and a bigger pain to iron. The fabric is a cotton lawn that I think I bought through Walmart's website last spring. So light and cute.
 
 
 
 
     I added homemade red piping and chose red buttons for a splash of color. I love the curves of the yoke.
 
 
 
     The pattern calls for the top layer of the flounce to go halfway around from the center front to center back. (?!?!) I just thought that was too odd looking for my symmetrical mind so I cut 2 instead, on the bias as instructed. I am really glad I did, but I wish the direction change showed more. Probably would show more with a different print.
 
 
     I'm new to the world of sewing blogs and am learning about so many awesome indie pattern designers and I can't wait to get started sewing up some of the ones I bought including the ShwinDesigns BBC vest and the SewFab Bundle as well as some downloaded for free. (Free is so awesome and generous of these ladies!) But until then, a few more pictures of Elena enjoying her apple dress on a beautiful fall day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Really love your pictures! Your yard looks beautiful as well! Can't wait to see what you post next! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute dress and the fabric choice is just perfect...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute dress and the fabric choice is just perfect...love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.